Sunday 22 April 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Title and Author: Legend, Marie Lu
Format: Paperback
Pages: 305
Release Date: November 29th, 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.




Legend was a surprise for me. I didn't really expect much from this novel when I first saw it. I'd already had my share of dystopian YA and they'd all been somewhat the same to me. Legend, in fact, did have the same sort of idea as most other dystopian novels: a crumbling society, a corrupt government and a plague thrown somewhere in the mix. But Marie just did something with it that made Legend one of my favourite novels this year. 

Her writing style was easy to read and perfectly suited for the fast pace of the novel. I loved every minute of it and I'm so glad Marie didn't spend forever dragging on and on about details but rather, gave us this action-filled story that had just enough emotion for me to sympathise the characters yet not enough to take away from the kick-ass awesomeness of it all. 

{Characters}

Day is the Republic's most wanted criminal and June is their treasured prodigy. They are both fifteen years old and know how to kick some serious butt. Sounds pretty awesome, right? I really loved June and how she wasn't your average, defenceless female protagonist. She was able to protect herself and had an attitude that I loved. Day was an excellent character as well. The way he so obviously loved his family was just too sweet and his caring nature was lovely for a male character.

Other characters like Metias, June's brother who is murdered, and John, Day's brother,  were really brilliantly characterized. Even though neither really got much view-time, you could still tell what their personalities would be like. Marie did a great job with her characters.

{Setting}

The vivid descriptions of the Republic were such a good help and allowed me to feel as though I was there alongside June and Day. Marie has this way of being able to be good with words that allows her to show us all the details without being over the top with her writing. The world, though it wasn't completely unique, was one of the things that made Legend so amazing.

{Plot}

I've got to say, the secrets June unlocked near the end made my jaw drop to the floor. I honestly didn't see any of it coming. Throughout everything, there are a lot of twists and turns so there's not a single moment spare for you to feel bored. Every second, there's something happening and I absolutely loved that. It was a lot of fun to get in to.

This was definitely one of the best dystopian YA novels I've read and if you haven't already, do check it out. I can't wait for the next instalment, Prodigy, which will be out in September later this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment